Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's more important: The beginning the middle or the end?

As you already know if you have been following me on here i am in the process in writing a book.
So when i came across the following articles it made me think....

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/the-best-100-opening-lines-from-books

Do you capture someones attention with the first line of your book?
In this list there is everything from Matilda to The Clockwork Orange. I have read possibly a third of this list.

Then i went from there to the next link which was....


http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/literature-sex-scenes

What does the sex scene in your book say about you? I knew "Lady Chatterleys Lover" would be in here, but "Journey" by Tony Blair. Really?
My book currently has five completed chapters and the sixth is underway. Chapter five was a sex scene and was possibly the hardest thing to write as i didn't want to offend people but i did want to turn them on!
I have shamefully not read any on this list but i will be going out to buy a selection this weekend. Tony's may not be on that list, but then who knows!

Finally i got to....
http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/the-best-100-closing-lines-from-books

Now out of this list i have probably read about two thirds.
Is this because i judge a book, not by its cover but by its last line?
The way i see it, if i read the last sentence first and i remember that sentence when i read it at the end of the book then the book hasn't been that good. I haven't been lunged into the book, gotten lost in its words and fallen in love with its characters. However, if i get to the end and i have totally forgotten then i have loved the book and i may not have realised it at the time but i have gotten into it in a deep way. The only way you should get into a good book.

So, i will endeavour to make my opening line a great one, read some amazing sex scenes, compare and possibly edit my own and ensure that my closing line is not memorable!
I believe that if i conquer that, all the rest will just fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment